This page collects all resources relevant to the FreePDK15TM 15nm variant of the FreePDKTM process design kit. This kit was developed in collaboration with MentorGraphics.
FreePDK15 code files have been open sourced under the New BSD Licence. The Free PDK Design Rule Kit is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0). By downloading or using this kit, (1) you accept the terms and conditions of the aforementioned licenses and (2) acknowledge that commercial use could require a commercial license. For a commercial license, please contact NCSU Technology Transfer at email@example.com.
The latest FreePDK15 distribution is version 1.2. You can download it here. You can load Nangate's Open cell library here. You can sign up to receive email alerts of design kit updates on our extremely-low-traffic announcements mailing list.
- June 9, 2017 - Version 1.2 of the FreePDK15nm is now available. This updated kit includes LVS and Parasitic Extraction Rules, transistor simulation models, and P-Cells for layout, in addition to some design-rule updates. Also, the kit is now free for commercial use.
- November 21, 2014 - Downloads of the FreePDK15 have been re-enabled with slight modification to the license terms. Academic users should see the license file in the new distribution. Commercial users should contact NCSU Technology Transfer at the address listed above.
- September 29, 2014 - Downloads of the FreePDK15 have been disabled since August 27 as NCSU reviews the license terms for the kit. Once an agreement is reached regarding the license, we will re-enable downloads and post announcements on this page and to our announcements mailing list. The new license will still be free for universities. The kit will unfortunately no longer be free for commercial users, but will be available to commercial users for a small fee. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about commercial use licenses.
- July 22, 2014 - The initial release of the FreePDK15 is now available. This version of the kit includes the technology library for Cadence Virtuoso and Synopsys PyCell and design rules for Mentor Graphics Calibre. Please see the release notes below for details on what's included in this release and what we have planned for the next release.
- May 29, 2014 - Come see us at the DAC! We will present a Demo of the FreePDK15 at the SIGDA University Booth at 3:15-4:45pm on both Monday, June 2 and Wednesday, June 4. See also the demo of the Nangate Open Cell Library based on this kit. Note that as of today, the name of the kit is changing from FreePDK14 to FreePDK15, in order to maintain consistency with the NanGate Open Cell Library release. The DAC Demo may still reference the old name.
- Release Notes
- Current Design Rules
- Design Rule Manual - This link directs you to Kirti Bhanushali's thesis. Chapter 4 of this document provides the best introduction to the rules that we currently have available. Please check the Current Design Rules link above for the latest rules, as they have changed slightly since publication of the thesis.